Fed decision in Oct 2026?
I think the Fed is very likely to hold rates steady in October, making the 0 bps outcome the clear favorite. The main residual risk is a surprise follow-up hike, but the balance of recent Fed signaling and softer data still points to no change.
Analysis
The most important fact is that the September meeting already delivered a 25 bps hike, and the Fed’s own minutes suggested some participants expected another increase before year-end without committing to October specifically. Since then, the tone has shifted toward patience: recent labor softness and cooler inflation prints have made a back-to-back October hike look less likely, while several Fed officials have sounded comfortable waiting for more data before acting again. That combination usually favors a hold, especially when policymakers want to avoid over-tightening after an earlier move only weeks before.
The structure of the decision also matters. A 0 bps move is the default when the Committee wants to preserve optionality, and October is often used as a meeting where the Fed can pause and reassess before December. The recent commentary cited in the news summary points in that direction, and the distribution of alternative outcomes suggests the market sees the real binary as hold versus a 25 bps hike, not as a meaningful chance of easing. If the Fed were going to resume tightening immediately, the language from officials would likely have been firmer and more coordinated than what is described here.
Compared with the current market price of 86% for no change, my estimate is slightly higher at 89%. That is not a dramatic mispricing, but I do think the market still leaves a bit too much weight on the possibility of an October follow-up hike given the recent shift in data and Fed communication. The market’s 16% assigned to a 25 bps hike looks a little rich unless upcoming inflation or labor reports materially re-accelerate before the meeting.
Arguments
For
- Recent official commentary suggests Fed policymakers are not expecting a back-to-back hike in October.
- Market and analyst signals have increasingly converged on a hold after softer macro data.
Against
- The September minutes indicated that further tightening before year-end may still be appropriate.
- A persistent inflation surprise could push the Fed to act sooner than the current consensus expects.
Key drivers
- Recent Fed messaging appears more consistent with a pause in October than an immediate second hike.
- Softening labor data and cooler inflation reduce the urgency for another 25 bps increase.
- The September hike already tightened policy, making an October follow-up less likely without new inflation upside.
Risk factors
- A hotter-than-expected inflation or jobs report before the meeting could revive the case for another hike.
- If the Committee wants to front-load tightening before year-end, it could choose October rather than waiting for December.
Scenarios
Best case
Incoming data stays soft enough that the Fed clearly holds rates unchanged and reinforces a wait-and-see stance, making the 0 bps outcome uncontested.
Most likely
The Fed pauses in October at 3.75%–4.00%, keeps the door open to a later move, and treats December as the more plausible window for any further tightening.
Worst case
Inflation or labor data re-accelerate before the meeting, prompting the Fed to deliver another 25 bps hike in October.
Outcomes
| Outcome | AI | MKT |
|---|---|---|
| Fed maintains rate | 89% | 86% |
| Hike 25bps | 10% | 16% |
| Cut >25bps | 0% | 1% |
| Cut 25bps | 0% | 1% |
| Hike >25bps | 1% | 1% |
More from this day
- Science and TechnologyKalshiEnded
DeepSeek market share this week
AI67%MKT19%Edge+48Hidden GemDeepSeek looks meaningfully more likely than not to clear the 22.9% threshold, with the latest OpenRouter snapshots sitting above that line and showing it near the top of the leaderboard. I estimate a 67% chance of Yes, well above the current market price.
- pop culturePolymarket8d
"Resident Evil" total domestic gross by October 31?
AI74%MKT26%Edge+48Hidden GemResident Evil looks more likely than not to finish under $150 million domestic by October 31. With the film already around the mid-to-high $120 millions and its daily pace clearly slowing, the remaining threshold is possible but not the base case.
- pop culturePolymarketEnded
"Other Mommy" Opening Weekend Box Office
AI41%MKT3%Edge+38Hidden GemThe market is heavily leaning No, but the tracking cluster around $20 million leaves a meaningful path to a sub-$21 million opening. I would still put Yes below even odds because several credible forecasts are at or above the threshold and the safer read is a finish in the low 20s.