Fed decision in Oct 2026?
I make a hold at the October 2026 meeting slightly more likely than a hike, but not as likely as the market implies. My read is that the Fed is close to a coin flip only if the next inflation prints are firm; absent that, a pause is the cleaner base case.
Analysis
The strongest argument for no change is the recent signaling from John Williams, who explicitly said there is “no need for urgency” after the September move and gave the Fed room to wait for more information. When a key voting voice frames the situation that way, it materially raises the odds that the Committee prefers to pause in October and preserve optionality for December rather than tighten again back-to-back. The political calendar also nudges in the same direction, since the Fed often avoids looking as though it is forcing a controversial move immediately before an election-heavy period.
The case for a hike remains real, though. The central macro question is whether inflation data between now and the meeting come in hot enough to justify acting sooner rather than later, and the reporting suggests the Fed still has one more hike on the table before year-end. If core CPI or other key data print above the comfort zone, the Committee could decide that waiting only raises the risk of falling behind the curve, especially if the labor market remains resilient. In that sense, the event is less about today’s odds and more about a narrow window of incoming evidence.
Compared with the current market price, I think the market is modestly overconfident in a hold outcome. A 66% implied probability of no change assumes the dovish interpretation of Williams’ comments will dominate, but the Fed has repeatedly shown it is willing to hike again if inflation stops easing. My independent estimate is closer to the high-50s for a hold and low-40s for a 25 bp hike, which means the market may be leaning a bit too far toward the pause side given how much data is still to come.
Arguments
For
- Arguments for Yes: The Fed can afford to wait for additional inflation data after signaling there is no urgency.
- Arguments for Yes: Political timing and precedent both favor a pause over a back-to-back hike in October.
Against
- Arguments against Yes: Inflation is still above target, so a single hot data point could justify another 25 bp move.
- Arguments against Yes: Several market reports still price meaningful odds of a hike by year-end, which keeps October live.
Key drivers
- Williams’ public remarks strongly reduce the urgency for an immediate October hike.
- Upcoming inflation releases can still swing the Committee toward another 25 bp increase.
Risk factors
- A hotter-than-expected CPI print would quickly strengthen the hike case.
- The Fed may want to avoid appearing politically sensitive by timing policy around the election calendar.
Scenarios
Best case
Inflation softens further, Williams' dovish framing carries the Committee, and the Fed leaves rates unchanged in October while signaling any further move can wait until later.
Most likely
The Fed pauses in October but keeps a hike in play for later in the year, with the decision hinging on the next inflation readings.
Worst case
Inflation data reaccelerate and policymakers decide they cannot risk waiting, leading to a 25 bp hike at the October meeting.
Outcomes
| Outcome | AI | MKT |
|---|---|---|
| Fed maintains rate | 58% | 66% |
| Hike 25bps | 40% | 35% |
| Cut >25bps | 1% | 1% |
| Cut 25bps | 1% | 1% |
| Hike >25bps | 0% | 1% |
More from this day
- pop culturePolymarket21d
"Resident Evil" total domestic gross by October 31?
AI88%MKT37%Edge+51Hidden GemResident Evil is already around $103 million domestic, so it would need an unusually strong late run to get to $150 million by October 31. That makes the under-150 million outcome very likely, with only a modest chance of a massive sustained box office surge changing the result.
- SportsKalshiEnded
India A vs Australia A
AI18%MKT60%Edge-42HypedThe live state strongly favors a result, not a draw, so I put Draw/Tie at a much lower probability than the market. Australia A is the clear favorite, with India A needing an unusually successful survival effort to flip the match into a draw.
- techPolymarket2mo
Next Google Gemini Pro Model: Arena Debut?
AI72%MKT34%Edge+38Hidden GemGoogle’s newest Gemini frontier entries have generally been landing at or above the 1480 line, and the current market already prices in a fairly strong chance of a qualifying debut. The main reason not to be even more bullish is that the exact next Pro-branded Arena entry could differ from the currently visible frontier checkpoints and land just under the cutoff.